Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Apparently...I'm Not What I Think I Am

If you asked me what type of lesbian I am, I'd probably name anything but a femme. Because I'm a tad bit shy, I won't say what I consider myself to be. But apparently I'm not what I think I am.

My cousin, the one I came out to, said I'm a femme. Hmm. I wasn't quite sure how I felt about that. The conversation went like this.

"...but I don't wear makeup or much worry about my hair, nails and stuff like that," I said looking baffled.
"Well, you're a plain femme." Can you imagine my look at this?
"Gee, thanks."
"No, I mean, that's really attractive. You're naturally pretty...some girls when they take off their makeup it's like Oh My Gosh!"
"Oh, ok."
"Yeah, I mean your style isjust understated but has class."

You know I was smiling a little. She redeemed herself well, classic stud that she is.

From time to time I wonder what category I fit into, but then back away from that thought, because I don't want to box myself into any single stereotype. My personality is all over the place, but consistent. I thought about what she said, and kind of came up with being a sort of soft stud wrapped in femme characteristics. But that isn't quite accurate. Adrogynous might do well. Eh, who cares. I'm just me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I just stumbled upon your blog because I follow, Crap, I'm a Lesbian, LOL. What I have read so far has really touched me, our journey's are not exactly the same, I stayed in the closet completely for 30+ years...but damn if our feelings on things aren't about the same.
    I started to come out 4 years ago, and have been fully out for close to 3. Except to my parents, that has only been about 3 or 4 months.
    One of the first things that I noticed after coming out was that none of us fit much into the stereotypes. We are just who we are.
    Anyway, I have enjoyed reading your posts. I hope you keep it up!

    ReplyDelete