Tuesday, April 21, 2009

A Challenge I Face.

I learned recently, from his mouth to my ear he,The Man (my now ex husband) is going to fight with everything he has to get custody of the kids if I get married, committed or otherwise to a woman (or man, but that isn't even a remote possibility). He seemed bolstered by all these cases he must have read online about gay parents (usually lesbians) losing custody to their heterosexual spouse.

What brought it about was me asking how his wife is doing (she's pregnant), because it just seemed like a nice thing to do. He said he guesses she's alright, that they don't talk much. And goes on to say that he is still thinking about divorcing her and taking their future child because- his words- "he can easily do that in his country, but can't here in the US which is why they're still here."

Uh. Right. Everything was said so casually it was almost comical, but that was some heavy passive aggressive shit.

Then he, not so passive aggressively says I might want to start preparing my defense and sourcing a good lawyer because he is surely getting custody if I marry again, especially with my lifestyle.

Um...what lifestyle? So I happen to love women...otherwise I'm as straight laced and responsible as they come. I told him that was good to know because I plan to look for a wife someday. He said he'll get his children, I said key word is Try.

All this while we were strolling around the mall like this picture perfect family (me maybe his questionably gay daughter, lol.) However casually it was said, I am not taking those words lightly. Right now we share 50/50 custody because he's forced to. As in, there's no way in hell he can get out the US of A with these kids without serious penalties, like never seeing them again. I made sure of that.

I am not sure if he knows I'm still seeing Kay, but I'm sure as hell not letting on about it.

I've considered a few times in the past few weeks letting the kids vacation in Africa for the summer with him and his wife, but after today that idea was atom bombed.

7 comments:

  1. Wow...he really is an ass! I'm so glad you are back in the US and have more freedom and are not under his rein of terror. He's crazy! To say things like that about his new wife it just confirms that you've made the right choice to divorce him! And let him try and take the kids he will be sorry, the US doesn't condone kidnapping for any reason gay or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Melissa- You're so right, he really has been being an ass...I've told him as such. I definitely made the right choice, because after trying to compromise time and time again, I've found he wants to have his cake and eat it too. I've learned my lesson in doing that.

    You're so right, the US has great laws in place like the requirement of both parents to sign consent for a child's passport.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sip, I hate the word 'lifestyle' used in conjunction with us don't you? Heterosexuals have love and sex lives and we merely have a gay lifestyle. it does my head in. Grrrrrr! With regards The Man, watching him act like this must make you realise what a great escape you've had and how lucky you are now to be free from him now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he seems bitter and bored. i don't know some folks just talk stuff and never actually do anything. seems like he's not happy...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jonathan- It does annoy me! I am indeed grateful that I am free from him. During this time, I've seen a lot of things in clearer light about how he treated me during the marriage and I'm happy I'm out now.

    Tami- Lol! He does, doesn't he?! I think you're spot on, bitter and bored. At this point I don't want to put anything past him, but I'm often told he is just using the kids to get to me. He doesn't really seem happy but he made those choices and is now having to live with them. I pity his wife for several reasons, but think they're a good match. :-) Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, tough challenge indeed especially when children are involved. I hope everything works out for the best. Thankfully, you're thinking well in advance. Most women don't. Keep up the good fight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Studywithswag- Thanks so much your encouragement! I definitely am trying to stay a step ahead and Kay, my gf contributes to that a lot.

    ReplyDelete